Saturday, August 6, 2011

SCCL #5

http://www.stuffchristianculturelikes.com/2008/08/5-princess-bride.html

Drive around my hometown during the summer and any church that has summer movie nights will show The Princess Bride at some point.  I am dead serious: I could probably watch it almost every week just by visiting area churches alone.  Of course, if I did do that, I would either get the eye from parents wondering why a twenty-something is watching a children's movie, or I would get targeted for conversion by one of the pastors.

I'm not knocking Princess Bride: I freaking love that movie, and so do many of my non-evangelical/non-Christian Culture friends.  Yet, for some reason, the church crowd gives it its stamp of approval.  It might be because it's a  love story or a fairy tale or that generally it's not too offensive.  I honestly don't know.

Note that I said "generally not too offensive."  If you do watch this movie in the presence of a CC/evangelical crowd, expect some parts to be fast forwarded through.  Probably not the violence, as many American families tend to be less prudish concerning violence than to...anything else.  The scene where Westley briefly comments on Buttercup's breasts and Indigo Montoya says "I want my father back, you son of a bitch!", though?  Yeah, I can't see many of my CC neighbors allowing that scene to play without the mute button.

And if you haven't seen this movie yet, please go do so.  It's actually very funny and quote-worthy and all around awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment